Man time has flown by!! Where has the summer gone?
I’m trying to savor every last bit of the sunshine while I can, how about you?
Last night to get out of the house for a bit, Dom and I went on a date downtown:) It was pretty fun. We went to a free concert at the center of downtown (only catching the tail end) but it was fun anyway! It was a celtic rock kind of group called clumsy lovers. It was so fun people watching! After that we went to PF Changs for a bite to eat:) We don’t go there often but we had a gift card that expires soon so we had to take advantage! My new favorite thing to get is the Buddha’s Feast. It’s baked tofu, with lots of steamed veggies. I got the sauce on the side and brown rice of course:) So yummy and a great healthy option! After dinner we walked around for a bit downtown and came across the fanciest car. (see bottom right photo) It was covered in leopard “fur” and pink fuzzy seats and a crown on the hood. Very interesting.
Well that’s enough about that. I want to share a new recipe with you that I’ve probably had about four times already, just this week! It’s creamy thanks to the avocado and has a nice salty smoky bacon flavor without the bacon of course:) It’s much more nutrient dense as well.
Tempeh Bac’n Salad
- 3 oz. of organic tempeh, sliced
- 3-4 tsp of braggs liquid aminos
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (i would recommend this brand as it is the cleanest I have found, no added preservatives or flavorings)
- 3 kale leaves, torn or chopped
- 1/2 zuchinni, sliced
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 of an avocado
1. Place tempeh in a bowl and cover with the liquid aminos (or soy sauce) and liquid smoke. Let marinate for about 10 minutes while you prep the rest of the salad.
2. Saute kale and zuchinni until they soften up. (I sauteed mine in a little coconut oil)
3. Remove veggies from pan. Add the the tempeh to the pan, let cook on each side for a couple minutes just to crisp/warm it up.
4. Top the salad with the tempeh bac’n, avocado slices and cherry tomatoes.
Optional: I also added some kabocha squash after taking the picture and it was a delicous addition!
Just for fun here’s some health benefits from this salad!
Kale: rich in Vitamin K which helps prevent cancer, supports bone health, prevents blood clots, Also high in iron which is great for vegetarians/vegans! And the fiber and sulfur in kale helps to detoxify the liver:)
Tempeh: Easy to digest, which makes it a great option for those who have a hard time digesting some other plant based protein sources such as beans. Also the protein and fiber in tempeh can prevent high blood sugar levels and help in keeping blood sugar levels under control. (which is very beneficial for people with diabetes.) Also contains Pantothenic acid whis Is known for keeping skin healthy and preventing it from premature aging!